Thursday, May 24, 2018

CANDY by Justin M. Woodward





CANDY by Justin W. Woodward

Published May 6th 2018

Simple Bicycle Publishing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(from the book description)

Excuse me if I'm feeling sentimental. I might die tonight. My name is Candy Tran. Before I was hunting down serial killers and feeding men to alligators, I was a normal, church-going, tax-paying citizen. Before all of this. I've been given a chance to tell my story, so please, listen closely. This is going to take a while. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 CANDY is a hard book to classify. Is it horror? It could be. Is it a thriller? Most definitely. Is it a road story? Why yes it is. Is it a buddy cop story? Well, maybe but without the cops and slightly less buddies. The one thing that truly can be said about CANDY by Justin Woodward is that it is one hell of a ride.

CANDY was originally presented in serial form on the Justin Woodward fan page. I did not get a chance to read it in it serial form, and for that I am so happy. I think having to wait week after week to see what would happen to our anti-heroine would have given me a aneurysm. Once I started reading I could not put it down.

The story is told to us by Candy Tran, an 18 year old fresh off graduation and suddenly thrust into a world wind of circumstance she has no control over. She is accompanied by her boyfriend Nick as they travel cross country on a ever changing and somewhat disturbing odyssey of violence.

Justin's tale is unique and keeps the reader in the dark just as much as the characters in the story. Just when you think you have something figured out...bam...he changes it and your left slack jawed, having to start your thought process all over again. Also extra kudos to the author for narrating the book completely from the view of the main character Candy. He manages to sound more like a teenage girl than my own teenage daughter.

So its a horror, thriller, road movie, even a love story of sorts.

Just think of Quentin Tarantino directing a movie of On The Road with a splash of Natural Born Killers and The X-Files, and you might come close to the story of CANDY.

I really enjoyed this book and have already passed it on to another person to read. (and only because I own a 2nd signed copy). Definitely worth your time to pick up and read.


CANDY can be ordered in print and ebook on AMAZON

You can learn more about Justin Woodward and his upcoming works on
The Justin Woodward Fan Page on Facebook








No comments:

Post a Comment